2. Comfort Ye, Comfort Ye My People...
Recitativo Leonardo De
3. And the Glory of the Lord Shall Be Revealed...
4. Thus Saith the Lord of Hosts / But Who May Abide the Day of His
Coming Carmelo Corrado Caruso, Chiara
5. And He Shall Purify the Sons of Levi.
6. Behold, a Virgin Shall Conceive / O Thou That Tellest Good Tidings
to Zion Chiara Chialli,
7. For Behold, Darkness Shall Cover the
Earth Carmelo Corrado
8. For Unto Us a Child Is Born. Coro
9. Sinfonia Pastorale Various
10. There Were Shepherds Abiding In the Fields / Glory to
God... Susanna Rigacci,
11. Rejoice Greatly, O Daughter of Zion
Susanna Rigacci 4:58
12. Then Shall the Eyes of the Blind Be Open'd / He Shall Feed His
Flock Like... Chiara Chialli, Susanna
13. His Yoke Is Easy, His Burthen Is Light.
14. Parte II : Behold the Lamb of Go.
15. He Was Despised and Rejected of Men
Chiara Chialli 9:15
16. Surely, He Hath Borne Our Griefs.
With His Stripes We Are Healed / All We Like Sheep Have Gone
2. All They That See Him, Laugh Him to Scorn / He Trusted In God
That... Leonardo De
3. Behold, and See If There Be Any Sorrow / But Thou Didst Not
Leave... Leonardo De
4. Lift Up Your Heads / Unto Which of the Angels Said He At Any
Time Coro, Leonardo De
5. The Lord Gave the World. Coro
6. How Beautiful Are the Feet of Them
Susanna Rigacci 2:32
7. How Beautiful Are the Feet of Them
8. Why Do the Nations Carmelo Corrado
9. Let Us Break Their Bonds Asunder / He That Dwelleth In
Heaven Coro, Leonardo De
10. Thou Shalt Break Them With a Rod of
Iron Coro, Leonardo De
12. Parte III : I Know That My Redeemer
13. Since By Man Came Death
14. Behold, I Tell You a Mystery / The Trumpet Shall
Sound Carmelo Corrado
15. Then Shall Be Brought to Pass the Saying / O Death,
Where... Chiara Chialli, Leonardo De
16. Worthy Is the Lamb that Was Slain /
| SITE RATING:
release, recorded in July 2000, under the baton of Giampaolo Mazzoli,
this English-language release on the Kicco Classic label is an
atmospheric, lush Messiah,
with the sound drenched in natural reverb, and tempos taken at a
generally lazier tempo than other modern recordings. Taped
live, there is occasional audience sound, but the sound is very forward
and 'present' in the mix, and the occasional cough is not terribly
intrusive. The CittàLirica
Orchestra play with a sweet, fruity sound, and the same can be said of
tenor Leonardo De Lisi, who brings a gently heroic tone to his arias.
Baritone Carmelo Corrado Caruso is far too blustery in his arias,
with a swallowed tone and rather wide melisma, and Mezzosoprano Chiara
Chialli is similarly afflicted, sounding like an overly-ornamented
opera singer a touch past her prime. Soprano Susanna Rigacci
fares better, with a brighter, bell-tone and pleasing delivery.
Corale Pisana is unfortunately pushed back in the mix, sounding lost in
the natural acoustic of the hall, and their accent is occasionally far
afield of proper English, making familiar choruses unitelligible.
Entrances and cut-offs are ragged as well, and pitch occasionally
suffers in the live setting. Mazzoli's tempos are much slower
than I'm used to, and while bringing a lovely, pastoral feeling to some
moments, strips others of vitality and feel weighty and listless.
Still, an interesting release, one of the rare Italian-produced Messiahs on the market, and worth
listening to, but not essential.